Truck bed covers provide security and protect items in your truck bed from the elements. When it’s time to add a topper or a tonneau cover, make sure you get the correct size by measuring your truck bed correctly. Use the tips below to learn how to measure for a truck bed cover for accurate results.
What Size Is My Truck Bed?
Grab a tape measure and flip up your tailgate. If you have a bed-mounted toolbox, either remove it or work around it. Measure the inside of the truck bed and don’t extend the tape measure over the rails of the truck bed. These measurements take place at the top of the truck bed, near the rails; don’t lay the tape measure flat on the truck bed. Here’s how to do it:
- Place the end of the tape measure at the top of the bulkhead (the vertical wall at the front of the pickup bed).
- Take the other end of the tape measure to the inside of your tailgate.
- Since pickup truck bed widths are the same regardless of the length you won’t need this measurement when ordering a topper or tonneau cover. If you do, use the same procedure above and measure the interior distance between each bed rail.
In addition to the bed length, you’ll also want the year, make, and model of your truck when shopping for toppers and covers. Keep in mind, exact measurements may vary slightly since manufacturers usually round the bed length up or down. For example:
2020 Toyota Tundra Bed Sizes
- Crew Max Length: 66.6" (5’ 5.5”) | Advertised Length: 5' 7"
- Double Cab Length: 78.8" (6’ 5.7”) | Advertised Length: 6' 7"
- Long Bed Length: 97.5" (8’ 1.3”) | Advertised Length: 8"
Pickup bed features like integrated toolboxes or step sides will require a custom fit topper. No matter the bed size or what features it has, every LINE-X® tonneau cover and pickup topper is custom fit for each truck manufacturer. Your local LINE-X dealer will take care of all the measurements for you to ensure you get a weathertight and factory-looking fit.
Tonneau Covers and Pickup Toppers Near You
LINE-X truck toppers and tonneau covers aren’t just built to last, but are also made in the USA and come with a lifetime end-to-end warranty. Keep the gear in your truck bed safe and dry. Request a quote for a topper or tonneau cover from your local LINE-X dealer today!